Your resting metabolic rate (RMR) is the amount of calories you burn to maintain vital body functions. Once known, our specialists can accurately calculate your daily dietary allowance & caloric expenditure which will enable you to lose weight.
Your appointment takes 45 minutes but all the 12 minute test requires is that you sit comfortably and breath into a mouthpiece. That’s it!
How do I prepare for the test?
Once registered, we will send you the test preparation instructions. In short, no eating for 4-hours prior to the test. Avoid exercise and caffeine 12-hours before and no smoking for 2-hours before the test.
Benefits of the Resting Metabolic Rate Test
- Personalized Calorie Requirements: RMR testing can help determine the number of calories your body needs to maintain its current weight while at rest. This information is crucial for creating a personalized and effective diet plan for weight management or achieving specific fitness goals.
- Weight Management: Knowing your RMR can assist in weight loss or weight gain efforts. If you want to lose weight, you can create a calorie deficit by consuming fewer calories than your RMR. Conversely, if you want to gain weight, you can adjust your calorie intake accordingly.
- Avoiding Under- or Overeating: RMR testing helps prevent underestimating or overestimating your calorie needs. It provides a more accurate baseline for calorie intake, reducing the risk of undernutrition or overconsumption.
- Enhanced Fitness Planning: Athletes and fitness enthusiasts can benefit from RMR testing to optimize their nutrition and training plans. Understanding your RMR allows you to tailor your diet and exercise regimen to meet specific performance goals.
- Monitoring Metabolic Changes: RMR can change over time due to factors like age, muscle mass, and hormone levels. Regular RMR assessments can help individuals track changes in their metabolism and adjust their lifestyle accordingly.
- Identifying Thyroid or Metabolic Disorders: In some cases, an unexpectedly low or high RMR may indicate underlying thyroid or metabolic issues. RMR testing can serve as an early indicator, prompting further medical evaluation and intervention if necessary.
- Individualized Nutritional Guidance: Armed with RMR data, nutritionists and dietitians can offer more precise dietary recommendations. This helps individuals make healthier food choices and maintain better overall nutrition.
- Efficient Energy Management: By understanding your RMR, you can learn how your body efficiently utilizes energy at rest. This knowledge can lead to better energy management throughout the day, helping you feel more alert and focused.
- Health and Wellness Assessment: RMR testing is a valuable component of a comprehensive health assessment. It provides insight into an individual’s overall metabolic health and can be used in conjunction with other health metrics to create a well-rounded profile.
- Motivation and Accountability: For some individuals, seeing concrete data about their metabolism can serve as motivation to make healthier lifestyle choices. It can also provide a sense of accountability in maintaining a balanced diet and exercise routine.